If Information is Lost

If you’ve lost personal information or identification, or if it has been stolen from you, take the following steps quickly and keep a record with the details of your conversations and copies of all correspondence. If you have become a victim of identity theft there are several measures you can take to restore your information and regain lost finances. It is important that you act quickly as soon as you suspect your information as been stolen

  1. Place a fraud alert on your credit reports. Review your credit reports by contacting one of the consumer reporting companies:
    Equifax:1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374- 0241
    Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
  2. Close your accounts. Close the accounts that you believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently and be sure to contact the agency that issued your driver’s license. Ask the agency to flag your file so that no one else can get a license or any other identification document from them in your name. If you are struggling with the removal of unauthorized charges from your accounts contact the Consumer and Government Affairs Bureau.
  3. Notify the Bank of St. Croix. If you believe one of your Bank of St. Croix accounts has been violated, contact the Bank of St. Croix at 1-800-280-8280. We will assist you in closing the account and opening a new one.
  4. File a police report. File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.
  5. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. To file a complaint visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). For more tips, view the FTC site www.ftc.gov/idtheft.
  6. Mail/Telephone Fraud. If you suspect the information was taken through the mail, notify your local postal inspector. Contact your phone company if unauthorized charges have been made.